National Institute of Technology, Kitakyushu College provides the following education program titled "General Engineering" to produce engineers who are capable of being pioneers in engineering fields and building a hopeful future through technologies. The program is applied for Advanced Engineering School students as well as 4th and 5th year students in the college. The education program,"General Engineering",has been accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering Education(JABEE) since 2005.
In this program, the students learn specific expertise and practical skills relating to the production engineering in one of the disciplines: mechanical engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, information engineering, applied chemistry, biotechnology, The graduates have the ability to define problems, develop feasible solutions from diverse knowledge of other engineering fields as well as their own expertise, and implement an acceptable solution (i.e., design skill).
The educational objectives of the program, described in A through F, are designed so that the graduate will be an engineer with:
- a good knowledge of mathematics, science and information technology and recognition of the need for life-long learning to cope with increasingly developing technology.
- expertise in their engineering field.
- practical skills based on the expertise.
- a balanced problem - solving ability stemming from varied and integrated knowledge and skills.
- understanding of various cultures together with communication abilities in Japanese and foreign languages.
- good health and consideration of roles of technology in society and the environment derived from an insight into human history, culture and society.
- an ability to act effectively in a team with different talents.
- An ability to understand common bases of information technology as well as natural sciences, such as mathematics, physics, and chemistry.
- An ability to solve problems in basic technical course works developed through the continuous self-discipline.
- An ability to understand the basis of student's major engineering field with grounding in science and engineering.
- An ability to solve problems in technical course works developed through the continuous self-discipline.
- Development of the engineering knowledge and practical experiences in engineering problem solving through laboratory works.
- An ability to conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data using equipments (e.g. device, measurement instrument, computer).
- An ability to show proper charts of obtained experimental results and to derive technical results with analyses based on expertise.
- An ability to report experimental procedures, results and examination logically.
- An ability to integrate and apply the expertise of the field.
- An ability to grasp the engineering problems with a broad knowledge in a minor field as well as an in-depth knowledge of the major field.
- An ability to grasp the engineering problems from broad viewpoints, and to propose possible solutions.
- An ability to integrate engineering knowledge and technology to design and conduct experiments and research to solve engineering problems.
- An ability to integrate, analyze, examine and report experimental results with integrated engineering knowledge and technology to solve the problem.
- An ability to understand the cultural diversity with knowledge of history, culture, Japanese literature (i.e., Japanese) and foreign languages.
- An ability to describe the contents of laboratory work and research subject, to reprot and to argue those logically in Japanese.
- An ability to read English writings including technical papers and to describe those properly in Japanese.
- An ability to describe the summary of the research project with a clear perception of the research purpose and meaning.
- An ability to make him/herself understood in English.
- A knowledge of history, culture and social issue.
- An ability to understand and to explain societal and environmental impacts of technology.
- An ability to understand and explain professional and ethical responsibilities.
- An ability to understand and carry out one's role as a member.
- An ability to recognize the roles of each member and get them to work collaboratively.
- Completing graduation requirements for Advanced Engineering School
- Being conferred a bachelor's degree in engineering from National Institution for Academic Degrees and Quality Enhancement of Higher Education
- Earning 124 or more credits from the Production Design Engineering Program
- 60% or more of the credits are earned in the fields related to mathematics, natural science and technology.
- Having the above ability to achieve the educational objectives